Screen recording is a common yet useful solution. It helps create videos for troubleshooting, training, education and so on. It helps save live streams and online contents for offline watching. And, questions come first before capturing the screen. Some people need to record entire screen to let their audiences clearly know all onscreen activities while some others only want to record part of screen to show necessary and important information without disturbing contents.
Well, is it possible to capture only part of your screen? How to record part of screen on Windows and Mac? From here, we will list the easiest solutions to record selected portion of screen for free.
Why Do You Need to Record Part of Screen
1. By recording portion of screen instead of the entire display, it is possible to reduce video file size and make sending and receiving the video faster and easier for yourself and the recipient.
2. It is useful if you don’t want anything you have on your screen appearing in your video. This works exceptionally well if you record a certain part on your computer, but don’t want other apps you’re using to appear in the recording, such as your messages, web browsing, and other activities.
3. Remote communication drives most people to record online meetings and classes for later watching and reviewing. To capture part of screen can help you get a pure screen recording without disturbing information. Also, it is a good idea to only record a specific part of screen to create a tutorial, capture gameplay and make a presentation.
How to Record Part of Screen on Windows
Screen recorder makes it simple to record part of screen on Windows. Windows 10 and 11 have native screen recording tool that enables you to capture a section of screen without extra installation. Alternatively, third party screen recording software is recognized as offering powerful abilities and better performance to record select area on all Windows platforms.
How to Record Part of Screen on All Windows with iTop Screen Recorder
iTop Screen Recorder is a full-featured program that is designed to capture everything on your screen. It comes with an easy-to-understand interface and delivers good user experience to record screen flawlessly and easily. Fully compatible with Windows 11, 10, 8, and 7, it can help you capture portion of screen on all Windows PC.
iTop Screen Recorder not only gives you several choices to record a section of screen on Windows, but provides advanced features for screen recording.
- Capture screen flexibly. You can record part of screen, full screen, a window or any selected region in a fixed ratio (4:3 or 16:9).
- Record with multiple options. Speaker is used to record section of screen with system audio; Microphone enables you to record screen with voice; Webcam gives you the chance to create a vlog or capture gameplay with yourself.
- Offer stable performance for recording. Thanks to hardware acceleration, it can record 1080p HD/4K UHD videos with no lagging. The low-CPU usage can help you record a certain part of screen on a low-end PC smoothly. And, it has additional features besides screen recording.
- More tools for enhancement. It builds in a video editor to enhance your recordings and video compressor to shrink file size for emailing or sharing online hassle-free.
It is a free, safe and clean screen recorder. You can access all its features with no cost and no worries about malware. Now, let's get how to record part of screen on Windows using it.
Step 1. Free download and install iTop Screen Recorder on your PC.
Step 2. Launch the program. Choose "Select Region" for the part of screen you want to record.
Step 3. Click "REC" button to start recording. After countdown, the mini control bar appears. Click Done (the red square) button to stop recording.
Step 4. The recording file will be automatically saved to My Creation. You can choose to play and edit it.
How to Record Part of Screen Windows 10 with Xbox Game Bar
Xbox Game Bar, primarily designed to capture gameplay, works as a built-in screen recorder for Windows 10. It excels in easily capturing screen activities from games, web browsers, programs etc., and save the recording to a MP4 file. How to use it to capture part of screen on Windows 10? Follow the steps.
Step 1. Make sure that Game Bar has been enabled on your PC. Go to Settings > Gaming. Turn Xbox Game Bar on. You can also set keyboard shortcuts for controlling the program more conveniently.
Step 2. Press Windows logo + G on keyboard to launch Xbox Game Bar. Click on Capture > Record or press Windows logo Key + Alt + G to start recording. You can choose to record microphone or not before recording.
Step 3. Click Stop button on the recording bar or press Windows logo key + Alt + G again to stop recording. The recording will be automatically saved as a MP4 file. You can play or edit it later.
It is should be noticed that the screen recorder Windows 10 only enables you to record active windows. You can't select an area and record selected portion of screen with it. And, not working issue appears from time to time. Inconsistent performance probably result in recording with lags. It is powerful and convenient to record browser tab and program window but lacks of freedom for choosing recording region.
How to Record Part of Screen Windows 11 with Snipping Tool
Snipping Tool is pre-installed screenshot software in Windows. When coming to Windows 11, screen recording feature is added making the tool be a versatile screen recorder. Now, let's learn how to capture a section of screen on Windows 11 using it.
Step 1. Launch Snipping Tool on your computer.
Step 2. Choose Record and click + New button. Or, Press Windows logo key + Shift + S to create a new recording.
Step 3. Drag the outline to select part of screen that you want to record. Then, click Start.
Step 4. Click Stop button on the mini control bar to stop recording. You can preview the recording in Snipping Tool or save it to a new folder if necessary.
How to Record Part of Screen on Mac
In addition to working as a multimedia players on macOS, QuickTime can be a screen recorder to capture portion of screen on Mac. Make sure that QuickTime is installed on your Mac computer and follow the tutorial to record part of your screen.
Step 1. Open QuickTime Player from Application folder. Go to File > New Screen Recording.
Step 2. Control bar appears. Click the down arrow next to record button to make Microphone settings. You can choose to record screen without microphone, with internal or external microphone.
Step 3. Click Record button. Drag to select an area to record part of screen. Then, click Start Recording.
Step 4. Click Stop button in the top menu bar to finish recording. QuickTime will automatically open the file after you stop recording. You can play, edit and save it.
Also Read: How to Record Your Screen on Mac >>
It is absolutely easy to record part of screen with the help of a screen recorder. iTop Screen Recorder is a good one for PC users to customize recording area, a specific section of screen, full screen or program window. It can capture everything on the screen. You can record Zoom meeting, streaming videos, gameplay etc., with no hassle. Also, it delivers great user experience and performance. If you try to record part of screen on Windows 10/11, iTop Screen Recorder can give you a big hand.