A tutorial video is a recording that contains instructional activities that demonstrate a process or teach someone how to do something. Such kind of videos is significantly helpful for business and education. For example, well-made instructional videos will help new employees to know their workflow and how to operate a piece of the company's hardware or software better. Customers can learn how to use a product faster. The user can follow the steps in the videos to accomplish their tasks without paying for professionals.
People seek instructional video tutorials more and more today because they are more visually engaged and explicit. They are easier to follow and the inputs and outputs of activity are far clearer than text manuals.
Therefore, knowing how to make a tutorial video of high quality is a very important skill, whether you want to show a process to a friend or share it with many strangers. In this ultimate guide, we will discuss what it takes to make such a video that really meets your objectives.
- How to Make a Tutorial Video with Screen Recording?
- Points to Note on How to Make a Tutorial Video
How to Make a Tutorial Video with Screen Recording?
How to make a tutorial video can be challenging for those who never expect they will make one. Fortunately, making a good video no longer requires hardcore equipment and software nowadays. Making a tutorial video by yourself with today's light digital cameras (even your smartphones) and user-friendly software is completely possible and easy.
We will walk you through what you will need and what to do in detail below. If you are a beginner you will love this guide while if you are a veteran already you will find it interesting as well.
Step 1: Know your audience and the objective.
Before you start to record, it is extremely essential to know exactly who is going to watch your video. Are they beginners or experts on the problem you want to address? Are they your students, subordinates, colleagues, or your supervisors, investors, clients?
It is also essential to know what goal you want to achieve after people watch your video. Do not stuff too much content and too many goals into one video. Remember to narrow down to one main topic you want to tell and center that topic in the video. Otherwise, your video will be confusing and the outcome will be disappointing.
Step 2: Content planning and creation.
After you know your audience and the topic you want to focus on, you need to write a detailed plan about the video content. A dedicated recording plan is a key to a successful video tutorial. It will save you a lot of time and effort in later recording and editing. In addition, it will make your tutorial video more concise, informative, and interesting.
How to make a tutorial video by making a plan:
- Decide your budget, schedule, and manpower. Take a close look at how many resources you have in hand for making such an instructional video. This will help you determine how to make a tutorial video with limited people, time, and money.
- Decide the video length. You need to refer to other videos on the same topic (if you can find some) and have a rough idea of how long your video is going to be. A too-short video may not be able to cover the topic enough while a long one may reduce viewers' attention.
- Create a content layout. Commonly, a complete tutorial video consists of many video clips. You have to create a layout to know which clip is recorded first and which comes to the next.
- Craft a script. A good script can greatly improve the efficiency when you are recording the video and the voice-over. Explain what you are doing and why you are doing those activities in your instructional video with simple words and short sentences.
Step 3: Record the voice over and screen.
Many tutorial videos involve explanation voice-over and operations on a computer screen. At this stage, iTop Screen Recorder will become your helping hand. It is a top-class screen recorder, voice recorder, and video editor for Windows users. All of its features are easy to use and free.
- It supports HD recording a full desktop screen, an active window, a game window, or any area of the display.
- It allows users to schedule the starting and ending time of a recording
- Recording with audio and webcam is available.
- It has an option to save an extra audio file while recording.
- It doesn't have a limit on video length.
- It leaves no watermark or customized watermark on recordings.
- Popular video and audio formats are available.
How to make a tutorial video with screen recording:
Step 1: Open iTop Screen Recorder after you have installed it on your PC running Windows 10/8/7.
Step 2: The software will record a full screen by default. If you want to change it, click the down arrow by Full Screen to select a region. Turn on Mic or Speaker if you need to record audio at the same time. More settings are available in Quick Settings and Advanced Settings.
Step 3: Hit the REC button to start recording and stop it using the same button.
Step 4: Find the video and audio recordings in the "My Creation" folder or the location that you set up.
Step 4: Edit the recordings.
After you have many videos and audio clips in hand, it is time to put them together. However, not every clip is perfect, it may need cutting and trimming. iTop Screen Recorder has some basic video editing functions that you can utilize, Moreover if you have higher standards about your tutorial video, you may want to change the playback speed, add a caption, or highlight the video with shapes. In this case, you will need a professional video editor to help you out.
Points to Note on How to Make a Tutorial Video
Is it enough? No. To make your video recording smoother and the outcome more satisfying, we also conclude some tips for you.
- Select the equipment and software that work best for you. It doesn't take expensive and professional equipment to make a great instructional video. Select those that fall within your budget and take a short learning curve. We recommend you use a digital camera instead of your phone, a clip-on microphone instead of your wired headphone, and a versatile screen recorder like iTop Screen Recorder.
- Record in a quiet environment. A chaotic recording environment will distract you when you are recording. On top of that, a noisy place will ruin your voiceover.
- Rehearse a few times before recording. Practice, practice, and practice! Go through the instructions a few times to see if anything is missing. If possible, invite some people to watch you do all the activities in front of them and ask for their feedback.
- Upload your video to video channels. Decide which video Channel like YouTube or Vimeo and see what requirements on the platform. Then upload your video to it and your audience's feedback will let you know whether your video is successful.
It is not as difficult as you expect to know how to make a tutorial video if you can follow this guide and tips, but it does take some time for preparations and learning. You need to understand your audience, concentrate on one objective, make a great plan, record the voice and activities, and, at last, assemble everything. During the whole process, an easy-to-use yet powerful screen recorder is a must. iTop Screen Recorder is your ideal choice to record a nice tutorial video by yourself.
Powered by Froala Editor